Wednesday, October 22

Creamy Corn, Potato and Sausage Chowder with Corn Relish

corn chowder single bowl

Maybe it's because I grew up in New England, home of New England Clam Chowdah. Or maybe it's because it was my mom's favorite soup. All I know is that every autumn, as sure as the leaves fall from the trees, I crave a bowl of steaming hot corn chowder.

When I called my mom to tell her I was posting on corn chowder and would like her recipe, she said, "Ooh, corn chowder! That's my favorite soup." I smiled.

"I'm sorry, honey, I don't have a recipe. But, it's chowder. Everyone knows how to make chowder." Or so every New England mother who makes chowder firmly believes.

So I conjured up images and smells of mom's corn chowder and started chopping and sauteing and pureeing. I added sausage for depth of flavor and cheddar cheese for richness. Then I adorned each serving with a simple corn relish that added just the right amount of texture to keep things interesting. The chowder turned out just like I wanted it to: it was wonderfully thick and creamy and had a deep corn flavor.

After I was finished, I called my mom and told her all about it. Her response: "Ooh, that sounds wonderful, honey! Can I have the recipe?"

Last month I wrote an article, "How to Freeze Corn for the Winter." So if you froze summer sweet corn, now is the time to whip it out. Of course, either frozen or canned corn from the supermarket works just as well.

Creamy Corn, Potato and Sausage Chowder with Corn Relish
Makes 4 servings.
Print recipe only here.

Corn Relish:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup fresh corn kernels (or canned)
2 green onions, sliced
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
salt, to taste

Chowder:
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups fresh corn kernels from 2 ears (or canned)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
6-7 cranks of freshly ground black pepper
2 cups milk (whole or low-fat)
1/4 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/3 pound of sausage, removed from the casing


To make the relish, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn kernels and green onions, cooking until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat, and add fresh parsley and salt, to taste. Set aside.

In a deep pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Saute onions for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add potatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add corn kernels, cayenne, salt, and black pepper, and stir well. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the milk, cheddar cheese, and parsley. Turn off heat and allow chowder to cool for 5-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add loose sausage, and cook until browned and crispy, about 7 minutes. Set aside.

Puree soup in two batches until smooth, and return to the pot over medium-low heat. Stir in cooked sausage and warm until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

Garnish eat serving with a spoonful of corn relish and some extra finely chopped parsley.

Note: This soup tastes even better the next day. So it's a good meal to make over the weekend for a quick and easy mid-week dinner.



You might also like:






Italian Escarole and Bean Soup





Red Lentil Mulligatawny with Apple-Celery Salsa

41 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Susan you and your mom have the very best conversations! Makes me miss my mom.
Love the corn chowder.

Darius T. Williams said...

I'm in love...and I totally love this pic. As always - it's perfect!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Proud Italian Cook said...

You and your mom are so cute, I always smile when I read your conversations! I'm also smiling about this soup, never had it with sausage, brilliant addition! That's Italian I presume, right?

vb said...

Delicious. I've already used all the roasted corn I froze during corn season. Just used the last of it tonight. Clearly, I need to roast alot more corn. Great chowder!

Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

That looks good! I have been craving chowder for a while now...I'll have to find a suitable replacement for the cheddar :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A fantastic chowder! Really flavorful and extremely good!

Cheers and have a wonderful weekend,

Rosa

Helene said...

This is a funny story with your mom. She'll love the recipe & the beautiful pictures.

Manggy said...

Oboy, that looks so good. Thanks so much for the recipe, since I'm not from New England ;) It would be nice to play around with it too, like maybe lobster for sausages or something, heh heh :) (though sausages are quite welcome on their own!)

Beachlover said...

I always wanna to make clam chowder but never try,coz I understand alot of work involved with clam.your recipe sound simple,might give a try.Thanks for sharing:))

linda said...

Exactly what we need in this weather! Never made corn chowder but now I know I should. Love cheese in soup, yum!

N├║ria said...

Where are the spoons in your house? Would love a seat in your table :D. What a fantastic soup... MMmmmm I should try to cook with corn one day.
I love the way you set the colours, clothes and dish for the picture!

Rachel said...

That's a nice conversation between the mum and daughter.

Awesome bowl, soup and picture :)

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

We had our first true frost of the season last night, so a bowl of chowder for lunch today would seem to be perfect!

ames said...

Oh my goodness, I just want to dive right into that bowl and swim through it with my mouth wide open!

Stacey Snacks said...

Susan,
This is right up my alley.
It's soup season here in NJ, it's cold out there!
Stacey

Lynda at TasteFood said...

What a nice variation of chowder. I love the idea of combining sweet corn with smoky, salty sausage.

Heather said...

your mom is adorable! i make a really similar chowder with bacon instead of sausage, but i should try the sausage!! i love corn chowder, and i love the idea of putting the corn relish on it.

Karen said...

Sounds just right for a Fall dinner. LOVE the photograph!

Simona said...

I must confess I have never made chowder of any kind. Time to change this, I think. I love this recipe, Susan, and will definitely try it. Lovely photos, as always.

familiabencomo said...

I can't wait to try this! I'm a bit disappointed that we haven't had any chilly weather here yet, but that hasn't stopped my craving for soup. AND, Trader Joe's has frozen "grilled" corn which is really quite tasty.

xoxox Amy

Deborah said...

We eat a lot of soup during the winter, but chowders are definitely our favorite! This one sounds like one I'd really enjoy!

Justin Levy said...

I like the idea of using the corn relish and incorporating sausage! I recently made a corn and potato chowder with jalepenos as one of the ingredients for a little kick. To finish I used fresh bacon bits, shredded cheese and chopped scallions.

I'll definitely have to try the corn relish next time I make it!

FOODalogue: Meandering Meals and Travels said...

sweet story...serious soup

Mike of Mike's Table said...

That soup looks amazing. I need corn chowder right now

Farmgirl Susan said...

Your family stories always make me smile. But my all time favorite is still the one about your dad and the basement. ; )

This chowder looks wonderful! And your photos are gorgeous. I'm embarrassed to admit I've never had corn chowder, let alone cooked some up. I definitely need to make up for lost bowls. I love the idea of the sausage in there.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

tanna-My mom just cracks me up. I wish you could have more conversations with your mom too.

darius-Thank you!

marie-That's Italian! And thanks. Your comment will make my mom smile when she reads it.

vb-You already used it all? That's too funny.

sara-I'm sure you'll have lots of amazing cheeses to choose from.

rosa-Thanks a bunch!

helene-Glad you like it. :)

mark-Lobster would be delicious. Are you sure you're not from New England? ;)

beachlover-Yeah, that clam chowder was easy and really good.

linda-The cheese makes it so rich and creamy.

nuria-I'd love for you to have a seat at my table too!

rachel-Why, thank you kindly.

lydia-That would be perfect.

ames-You're funny. :)

stacey-Stay warm!

lynda-I do too. thank you.

heather-Bacon would be great too. And thanks about my mom. I think she is too. :)

karen-Thanks so much!

simona-They're easy to make and oh-so-satisfying.

amy-I haven't tried that TJ's corn, but it sounds good.

deborah-I hope you try it then.

justin-Thanks you. Jalapenos would be right up my alley. I love heat in my foods.

foodalogue-Thanks awfully nice.

mike-Come on over and have a bowl. ;)

susan-I love that one too. Thanks for remembering! Please make some now! :)

Terry B said...

Beautiful, Susan! And timely too, with the chill in the air now. A quick question for you: I've always figured frozen vegetables to be superior to their canned brethren—would frozen corn work here? And for that matter, is canned better when it comes to corn? I do remember reading that corn is one of those rare vegetables that actually improves in nutritional value during the canning process.

Grace said...

i've had corn chowder just about every way imaginable...or so i thought. never have i ever had a version involving sausage, and now that i think about it, i've been missing out! great recipe. :)

Tartelette said...

Ahah! Cute story...! Gorgeous soup! It would be perfect for today, grey-ish and blah. I don't think I'll be able to wait and have it the next day though. Looks so good!

michelle of bleeding espresso said...

Oh my goodness, that story is *so* something that could've happened between my mom and me. Love it! And corn chowder is also one of my mom's favorites--she is Pennsylvania Dutch and they/we make *lots* of it :)

astrofiammante said...

copied and put on the list, I've tried new england chwoder and liked very much, ciaoooo

Melody Polakow said...

Looks delicious!

I think I'm going to make a vegan version of corn chowdah this week at the restaurant!

Louise at Livin Local said...

"Everyone knows how to make chowder." Priceless!

Gattina said...

Susan, only a glance on the title my mouth instantly is watering! The photos (both) are absolutely gorgeous!
The fresh corns in here are not even half as good as the ones in NJ... but I don't want to miss such a splendid recipe, maybe I just give the canned one a go :)

Anali said...

Good idea Susan! I've been making pumpkin soup the past few weeks. Maybe it's time for some corn chowdah! ; )

Peter M said...

Susan, I want to dive into this soup right now!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

terry-I remember something similar about canned corn being more nutritious too. I think it has to do with cooking the corn. I prefer canned to frozen but either would work.

grace-Oh, you'll love it then!

helen-Thanks! This should brighten your mood!

michelle-Oh, I love when my stories make a personal connection with people. :)

astrofiammante-Oh, I'm happy to hear it!

melody-That sounds good to me!

louise-:)

gattina-That's right. New Jersey is well known for its sweet corn. You must miss it.

anali-Definitely!

peter-Just have some napkins handy. ;)
michelle-

[eatingclub] vancouver || js said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy! I don't know how to make chowder, so I guess it's time to learn now.

Jeanne said...

Oh Susan... This looks like comfort in a bowl! In Boston 2 weekends ago I finalyl got to have clam "chowdah" in a sourdough bread bowl and it reminded my of how much I love chowder. This recipe has already been bookmarked!

Camille Acey said...

Thanks for this! I made a variation of the soup (used leeks instead of scallions, they're no longer on the market). Wonderful.
-Camille in Slovenia

mcCutcheon said...

Hi there!
Great recipe! I made this chowder for dinner tonight and it was so so yummy. in fact it was too yummy - my girlfriend is now complaining she ate to much an can't move :)

There was an error in this gadget