Monday, September 28

Sexy California Figs: A Recipe for Fresh Fig, Ricotta, and Honey Breakfast Crostini

fresh calimyrna figs
A ripe Calimyrna fig grown in San Diego County.

You might think that these figs are the product of a Photoshop trick I learned at the BlogHer Conference this weekend. Nope. These photos, however sexy, are all natural -- the glistening flesh you see is what makes a fresh fig so luscious (and so perishable).

A ripe fig is a sensual fruit: its soft, delicate skin often splits with ripeness, emitting a fruity perfume and sweet, honeyed nectar.

Fresh fig season is heart-breakingly short (from August through October). That's why I buy a basket or two every weekend at my farmers' market. Though delicious eaten out-of-hand, fresh figs are a lovely addition to salads, sandwiches, pastas, breads, and, of course, desserts.

fresh california figs
Brown turkey figs grown in San Diego County.

Fresh figs are not featured frequently enough in breakfast recipes, so today I'm sharing my recipe for Fresh Fig, Ricotta, and Honey Breakfast Crostini. The beauty of these breakfast crostini is that they're wonderfully easy to make, yet make breakfast seem, well, sexy. Try one on, and see what your partner thinks.

fresh fig, ricotta, and honey breakfast crostini

Fresh Fig, Ricotta, and Honey Breakfast Crostini
This isn't so much a detailed recipe as it is a guide. Adjust amounts to suit your taste.
Makes 10-12 slices
Print recipe only here.

1 large loaf crusty bread, such as French country or ciabatta (cut into 10-12 slices)
1 (8-ounce) container fresh whole milk ricotta cheese
8-12 medium fresh figs, any variety, stemmed and sliced
1/2 cup dry roasted, unsalted pistachios
the zest of 1 large lemon
1 small bottle quality honey

1. Preheat broiler. Place bread slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Broil for 3 minutes, or until lightly toasted and golden brown.

2. Spread 1-2 tablespoons ricotta cheese on a toasted bread slice. Top with 6-7 fresh fig slices, a few pistachios and some lemon zest. Drizzle with desired amount of honey. Repeat with remaining slices. Serve immediately.

You might enjoy more of my fresh fig recipes:

Dessert Risotto with Wine-Poached Figs
Fresh Fig and Fennel Pizza
Fresh Fig, Arugula, and Mascarpone Bruschetta

These fabulous fig recipes would also brighten any breakfast:
Quick Refrigerator Fig Jam recipe at A Mingling of Tastes
Ricotta Pancakes with Figs recipe at Serious Eats
Fresh Fig and Rose Smoothie recipe at Chocolate and Zucchini
Fresh Fig Muffin recipe at Lulu at Home
Fig Financiers recipe at Novice Baker
Learn more about California figs at the California Fresh Fig Growers Association

36 comments:

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Sexy is right! I recently bought a single fresh fig from the store because I love how they taste (so different from dried!) but they're a real pain in the wallet. Thanks for a great idea about how to use them next time.

Lisa said...

Love figs and I just blogged about them last week. Your photos are beautiful!

Sarah said...

Looks delicious. I have a confession - I have never had a fig. I will try one soon!

Lynda said...

This looks amazing!I have never cooked with figs, but they look so juicy and delicious.

Peter M said...

Nothing beats figs that are tree-ripened. Just a small twist of the wrist and they come off.I refuse to buy the figs at the markets here...$1 piece and they taste like cucumbers!

ChichaJo said...

They certainly do look sexy! Oh how I have bemoaned our lack of fresh figs where I come from...a lovely breakfast like this is just a dream for me!

Johanna said...

mm - that breakfast looks exotic and delicious - if I had fresh figs in season I would be trying it now

stacey snacks said...

Susan,
I like this idea for breakfast.
I usually serve this as an appetizer in the summer, when we can get gorgeous fresh figs in NJ.
Stacey

Katie @ goodLife {eats} said...

My neighbor grows them, so I'm pretty spoiled in that whenever the craving strikes I can call over and ask for a handful or two. I'd love to eat that for breakfast! YUM! It was nice meeting you and I enjoyed your panel discussion. Especially the airport story!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I am easily seduced by crostini, so why not start the day with a taste of fig and romance! Great to see you in San Fran!

Daphne said...

Sexy. These pictures are hot. I am now totally in the mood...for a fig I mean.

The Teacher Cooks said...

One of my students and I were reading this together and enjoyed the simplicity. Great idea!

Melanie said...

I love this fig pairing with goat cheese and honey.

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

Buy figs? You live in San Diego - gather them or plant a tree! I got a good crop of figs off a bareroot fig after only 2 years, and now I routinely post "I'm smothered by figs" posts on my site... it's a good problem to have.

If you have any yard at all figs will grow, and they are nearly fool-proof. Only worry is if a flock of birds finds them -- then you need netting. I have never (knock on wood!) had that problem, though.

Alanna said...

So lovely to see you in San Francisco. Now I want to see your breakfast too ... tee hee!

The Duo Dishes said...

Well, it's lunch time now. Would it still be OK to have one? :)

Juliana said...

Wow, these crostinis look so yummie...love figs, and what a nice picture!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Oh I adore fresh figs! I usually eat 'em with a smear of raw honey but this looks so lovely. Thanks for the idea!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Fresh figs are impossibly hard to come by here in the Northeast. They would be so lovely for breakfast.

The Food Hunter said...

Great photos...I love figs.

Abby said...

Gorgeous. My neighbor has fig trees, er bushes? Fig and prosciutto pizza here I come!

Anna (londonfoodieny) said...

yum! some of my favourite flavours in there! beautiful pictures

Maris said...

Can you believe I've never had a fresh fig? That's going to need to change before the end of the fig season here!

Manggy said...

Oh noooo! I knew I should've bought a package when I was in san Francisco. Now I gotta wait nearly a year to know what they really taste like!
What my partner would think? Lol. :)

Maria said...

I am so glad we got to meet at the conference. You are so sweet. I appreciate your kindness and enjoyed your presentation. Fabulous photos here. I know what I am having for a snack soon:)

Soma said...

Luscious luscious & sexy indeed. We are still waiting for our figs here. Really make me think if I should plant one at home. our friend has 2 fig trees & it was quite an experience walking around the yard, eating the figs straight from the tree!

Anonymous said...

I would eat that crostini at any time of the day! And I've never seen a fig as moist as that one. Yet another reason to move to Southern California....

Cookie baker Lynn said...

I must admit to being a fig-a-phobe. Do fresh figs have the same gritty texture as dried figs? Your sultry prose is doing a good job selling the figs, but the texture is the make or break issue for me.

amanda said...

so simple, yet so delicious! i'm hardcore craving a couple of these puppies right about now. :-)

Christine said...

Gorgeous photos, Susan! Simple recipes are the best way to showcase this delicious fruit, and you've presented a perfect one.
Great to see you in SF last weekend! :)

Aparna said...

You know Susan, I think I could have this for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I don't have much of a sweet tooth! :)

Petra said...

What a great combination! I tried it and it´s delicious.

Jyothsna said...

Lovely and easy for breakfast!

Cheriepicked said...

The crostini is a stellar idea! Well done dear.
Beautiful photos...lovely site.

Cheers,
Cherie
http://www.cheriepicked.com

Susan from Food Blogga said...

xiaolu-They're worth the expense though, aren't they?

lisa-I'm glad you liked them.

sarah-What?! Go buy one. Now! ;)

lynda-Then you must. You're missing out on something fabulous.

peter-It's true. There's nothing like fresh-from-the-tree figs.

joey-They are dreamy.

johanna-It beats cereal!

stacie-I love them for appetizers too.

katie-I enjoyed meeting you too. And I'm glad you liked the story. I like it too. :)

TW-I loved meeting you too!

daphne-Whew! That's as close to an "R" rated comment as it comes on this blog. ;)

theteachercooks-Thank you both! I'm so happy you're enjoying my blog.

melanie-The flavors marry beautifully.

hank-Nope. Zero yard. I live in a condo. Guess I'll have to pay you a visit next summer. ;)

alanna-I loved seeing you too. Wish you come over for breakfast so we could chat some more.

duodishes-Yes!

juliana-Many thanks!

michelle-I'm so glad you like it.

lydia-They are indeed.

foodhunter-Thank you so much!

abby-I adore that pizza. Seriously. Hope you make it!

anna-I really love the sweet and tangy flavors.

maris-never? Don't delay any longer! Please! ;)

mark-Lesson learned: Never, ever pass up fresh figs. ;)

maria-You were delightful! I'm so glad we met.

soma-It is heavenly, isn't it?

anonymous-Come on over!

lynn-No, the texture is completely different. They're soft and almost creamy.

amanda-They go down pretty easily.

christine-Thank you! It was lovely seeing you again.

petra-Oh, I'm so happy to hear that. Thanks for letting me know.

jyothsna-It's an easy way to make breakfast special.

cheriepicked-Thank you, my dear!

Sam@BingeNYC said...

Mmm...I ADORE figs. Can't get enough of them! This looks incredibly delicious.

There was an error in this gadget